I want to upgrade an old (8.3-RC2) FReeBSD installation, but can't install subversion

Lawrence K. Chen, P.Eng. lkchen at ksu.edu
Wed Aug 27 23:45:13 UTC 2014

On 08/27/14 17:09, Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 5:07 PM, Kurt Jaeger <lists at opsec.eu> wrote:
>> Hi!
>>> I didn't figure it out from the man page at least.
>>> Trying the simple solution doesn't work:
>>> root at kg-vm2# freebsd-update fetch
>>
>> Try
>>
>> freebsd-update -r 8.4-RELEASE upgrade
>
> this one appears to work (and yes, I should have figured it out from
> the man page):
> root at kg-vm2#  freebsd-update -r 8.4-RELEASE upgrade
> Looking up update.FreeBSD.org mirrors... 5 mirrors found.
> Fetching metadata signature for 8.3-RC2 from update5.freebsd.org... done.
> Fetching metadata index... done.
> Fetching 1 metadata files... done.
> Inspecting system... done.
>
> The following components of FreeBSD seem to be installed:
> kernel/generic src/base src/bin src/cddl src/contrib src/crypto src/etc
> src/games src/gnu src/include src/krb5 src/lib src/libexec src/release
> src/rescue src/sbin src/secure src/share src/sys src/tools src/ubin
> src/usbin world/base world/doc world/games world/lib32 world/manpages
>
> The following components of FreeBSD do not seem to be installed:
> world/catpages world/dict world/info world/proflibs
>
> Does this look reasonable (y/n)? y
>
> Fetching metadata signature for 8.4-RELEASE from update5.freebsd.org... done.
> Fetching metadata index... done.
> Fetching 1 metadata patches. done.
> Applying metadata patches... done.
> Fetching 1 metadata files... done.
> Inspecting system... done.
> Fetching files from 8.3-RC2 for merging... done.
> Preparing to download files... done.
> Fetching 34433 patches.....10....20....30....40....50....60....70....80....90....100....110....120....
> <snip>
>
> So perhaps the freebsd-update method should be documented as "the way out"?

I missed the start of this thread....but two months ago, had a customer with a
FreeBSD 9.0 system (with jails) that had wanted to upgrade Jenkins ... where
after doing an 'ezjail-admin update -P' ran into similar issues from bsd.port.mk.

Using freebse-update to upgrade to 9.1-RELEASE went a lot better than I
expected, including upgrading the jails...something its previous admin had
said wasn't possible, hence the lack of updates/upgrades.

At the time, I was partly hoping that 9.3 would make an early appearance, even
though it would be difficult to know if there would be any surprises....beyond
the ones I had prepared for, having run into such issues when I updated some
servers from 9.1 to 9.2.

But, I opted to only take them to 9.1, since at the time...9.2 was going to
EOL at the end of September, while 9.1 wouldn't EOL until the end of the year.
 And, I had been told that they're moving sometime next quarter, so it'll be
somebody else's problem when they need to upgrade again.

Not sure about the fate of the other two production 9.1 servers.

--
Who: Lawrence K. Chen, P.Eng. - W0LKC - Sr. Unix Systems Administrator
For: Enterprise Server Technologies (EST) -- & SafeZone Ally