what's up with portsmon?

Mark Linimon linimon at lonesome.com
Wed Aug 27 06:52:58 UTC 2014

On Tue, Aug 26, 2014 at 04:34:01PM -0700, Don Lewis wrote:
> What's going on with portsmon.freebsd.org these days?   A number of my
> ports have been updated quite a while ago, but there isn't any updated
> build status on portsmon.

portsmon suffered some bitrot when a vuxml URL grew a "|" in it.  This
caused index updates to not be updated.  I fixed the bitrot last Sunday
but I should probably do a force-rebuild of the metadata.

> I poked around on one of the pkg.freebsd.org, and stuff looks pretty
> old there as well.  For instance, the timestamps of the files under
> freebsd:10:x86:32/latest/ are 13-Aug-2014.

portsmon only knows about the packages provided by pkg.freebsd.org.
That's a question for the currently active portmgrs.

> But ... if I go to this page
> <http://portsmon.freebsd.org/portsoverall.py> and select the
> 84amd64-default link, I end up at
> <http://beefy2.isc.freebsd.org/bulk/84amd64-default/latest/>.  If I then
> click on the "logs/" link, I find a bunch of build logs dated
> 24-Aug-2014.  Looking at protobuf-c-1.0.1.log, it looks like the build
> was a success.

IIUC, the build machines' outputs (e.g. *.isc.freebsd.org) are not automatically
uploaded to pkg.freebsd.org in order to provide a sanity check.

> Other observations:
>
>   It would probably be helpful if the individual port pages reported
>   the status for the new_xorg versions.

portsmon never had the idea of "multiple repositories" engineered into it.
This would take a bit of retrofitting.  I'll put it on the todo list.

A shortcut would be to build a "new-xorg only" version of portsmon.  I
would need to get clusteradm to provision me a new, separate, jail to do
that.  (I have an outstanding request for another one anyways that seems
to be stalled.)

>   It would be nice if there was a way to find out what the ports build
>   cluster was currently working on.  Things like the svn revision of the
>   ports tree, what OS and ARCH versions were currently being built, and
>   how far along the build was (basically what you see when you type ^T
>   during a poudriere run), and what's next the the queue.

portsmon is not really tightly coupled to the build machines.  I suppose
I could teach it more about poudriere but that makes the code a lot more
specific than it is right now.

mcl