Return ports www/sams

Jim Ohlstein jim at ohlste.in
Mon Aug 25 17:41:44 UTC 2014

Hello,

On 8/25/14, 12:43 PM, John Marino wrote:
> On 8/25/2014 18:40, zlopi wrote:
>> many of my friends use sams 1.0.5 (www / sams) - but not so long
>> ago it was deleted. Previously stated that it requires php 4 - because
>> of what was deleted. I tested to optimize it for php 5.4 and mysql
>> 5.5. Therefore I would like to get it back - if it is possible.
>
> It was relayed that PHP 5.3 is the last PHP that runs sams correctly,
> thus it's not coming back.
>
> www/sams2 was specifically brought in to replace www/sams.  I encourage
> you to use that instead.  It works with the latest PHP.

Not for nothing, but since PHP 5.3 is still in the ports tree, then why
delete ports that depend on it? I know PHP 5.3 has now reached EOL, but
there is probably still a fair amount of legacy code which breaks with
PHP 5.4. I'm not advocating using it, but some people have no choice. If
people want it in the ports tree and they understand the risks,
shouldn't it be their choice?

--
Jim Ohlstein

"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the
difference." - Mark Twain