Berkeley DB 4 and portupgrade

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Mon Aug 25 15:05:39 UTC 2014

Am 23.08.2014 um 16:10 schrieb RW:

> I've lost track of how portupgrade works these days (10.0). Has it
> switched to using pkg's sqlite database?

For portupgrade, do not worry - it only _caches_ data in Berkeley DB
databases, it does not exclusively own valuable data that it could lose.
(OK rebuilding the pkgdb databse may take two or three minutes, but
that's all.)

And portupgrade only uses flat databases without anything fancy like
locking or transactions/logging.  portupgrade can recreate its databases
any time.

No it hasn't, and pkg is separate from portupgrade -- portupgrade
however does not store precious data in databases, only caches, so not
to worry -- in doubt, portupgrade it will just drop and recreate its
databases from the package database (that pkg maintains) and the INDEX
(that portsnap would maintain if you were to run it).

> I was wondering whether I needed to do anything for the DB 4x
> deletions, but I don't see a separate database file:
>
> $ ls -l /var/db/pkg
> total 41638
> -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  39279616 23 Aug 14:55 local.sqlite
> -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel     38912 15 Sep  2013 repo-packagesite.sqlite
> -r--r--r--  1 root  wheel   3236956 22 Aug 11:23 vuln.xml

You're looking in the wrong places, you should have:
/usr/ports/INDEX-10.db and /var/db/pkg/pkgdb.db

The portupgrade-maintained databases are distinct from the system's own
(pkg-maintained) local.sqlite.