Does pkg automatically download INDEX?

Naram Qashat cyberbotx at cyberbotx.com
Mon Aug 25 00:15:24 UTC 2014

On 08/15/14 13:14, Naram Qashat wrote:
> On 08/12/14 14:11, Patrick Powell wrote:

>>> As far as I can tell, no, none of my crontabs have any references to portsnap
>>> in them. This is making me a bit stumped as to why it would be happening. I
>>> checked the main /etc/crontab, I checked the crontabs in /var/cron/tabs. I
>>> have searched inside of /etc and /usr/local/etc for anything related to
>>> portsnap. Nothing that would be doing this is coming up at all.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Naram Qashat
>>>
>> I ran into something similar once,  and found out what was happening this way.
>>
>> 1.  replace the portsnap executable with a shell script.  Rename portsnap to
>> something
>>       like /usr/sbin/portsnap.orig
>> 2.  This shell script should dump the current ENV and other stuff to a log file.
>> Don't forget to put in a timestamp.
>> And then do:
>>    exec /usr/sbin/portsnap.orig $*
>>
>> I did this and found that there was something in one of the .login scripts.
>> Grrrr...
>
> I really liked this suggestion, and did just that. Unfortunately, it seems that
> portsnap may not be the culprit here, as I haven't had any log files created
> from my modified script nor is there a .portsnap.INDEX file being created after
> I deleted the one that was there, but I still have a bunch of
> .fetch.??????.INDEX-9.bz2 files in /usr/ports. I've been trying to search for
> anything on my system that even references INDEX-9, but I can't find anything
> else that would cause this to happen.
>
> Thanks,
> Naram Qashat

Well, I finally figured out what the culprit was. Webmin was configured to do
automatic updates and it was running "make fetchindex" on the ports tree. I
disabled that and now it has stopped trying to download the index. I only
managed to track that down after noticing that the fetchindex target was the
only other thing that could have downloaded the index file, and modifying
/usr/ports/Makefile so it would write the contents of
/proc/${.MAKE.PPID}/cmdline to a file so I could see what was invoking make. The
.MAKE.PPID variable was pointed out to me on IRC.

Thanks,
Naram Qashat