HEADS UP: Berkeley DB 4...4.7 port removals/upgrades may require manual preparation

Michael Gmelin grembo at freebsd.org
Sun Aug 24 17:16:45 UTC 2014

On Sun, 24 Aug 2014 11:59:37 -0500
Scot Hetzel <swhetzel at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 24, 2014 at 7:20 AM, Michael Gmelin <grembo at freebsd.org>
> wrote:
> > @Olli: Checking Mk/bsd.databasemk it seems like you're right. It's
> > quite amusing how this went unnoticed for so long, it has been in
> > there for eight years :)
> >

> As the original author of the USE_BDB code, the USE_BDB=5  had worked
> in the past.  As it is supposed to mean that this port only uses that
> version of BDB.  The code was changed on Aug 21 (r365599) and the
> author of the new code might have forgot to test this case.

Not sure if you read the rest of the thread, but this is still working
as intended (I tested using both the old and new version).

The issue is, that USE_BDB=version means USE_BDB=yes,
WITH_BDB_VER=version, but Kurt has WITH_BDB_VER=6 in make.conf,
which overrides this version number and version =6 is invalid for
devel/ice. So basically it works as designed, Kurt wanted a specific
version of bdb, which doesn't work for devel/ice.

The fix was to add WANT_BDB_VER= 5 in devel/ice, which I guess is ok,
since this is the only version it really works with (and I guess I
could remove the INVALID directive now, since WANT means really
*want*).

My question is, what the point of INVALID_BDB_VER really is in this
case, it seems a bit pointless to me given the trouble it caused Kurt
and how we resolved this. Having a fully specified list of supported
versions in WANT_BDB_VER seems better in this case (assuming WANT
supports listing multiple versions).

--
Michael Gmelin