HEADS UP: Berkeley DB 4...4.7 port removals/upgrades may require manual preparation

Peter Jeremy peter at rulingia.com
Sun Aug 24 01:42:57 UTC 2014

On 2014-Aug-21 20:56:47 +0200, Matthias Andree <mandree at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>The time has now come to remove these db4* ports, Berkeley DB versions
>4.0 to 4.7, inclusively.  Most of their dependent ports can cope with
>upgrades to db48, db5, or db6, most of the others could be patched to work.
>I have created a Wiki page that contains instructions, and points to
>SleepyCat's or Oracle's upgrading documentation, at
><https://wiki.freebsd.org/Ports/BerkeleyDBCleanup>.

This assumes that I know where and how BDB is being used.  I've discovered
that I have db41 installed on a couple of systems - it's required by
textproc/redland, which in turn is required by editors/libreoffice.  Whilst
I can avoid using libreoffice whilst I upgrade, I have no idea how it uses
BDB or where the database files might be.  I suspect this scenario is true
for the majority of people who have BDB installed.

>When, among the upgrade steps on the WIki, you have reached the point
>where it is safe to upgrade the Berkeley DB and applications, there is a
>helper script in Tools/scripts/BDB-upgrade-helper.sh uses portmaster or
>portupgrade to rebuild the applications to use a newer Berkeley DB, and
>then offer to delete the old Berkeley DB ports.

Partial relative paths aren't especially helpful.  This should either be
an absolute path or specify a cwd (presumably /usr/ports in this case).

And, for reasons I don't understand, when I run BDB-upgrade-helper.sh,
portmaster wants to install both db48 and db5.

--
Peter Jeremy