[CFT] SSP Package Repository available

Dimitry Andric dim at FreeBSD.org
Fri Aug 22 16:07:41 UTC 2014

On 21 Aug 2014, at 18:07, Bryan Drewery <bdrewery at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
> On 8/21/2014 10:53 AM, Bryan Drewery wrote:

>>> That's probably SSP_CFLAGS, not SSP_CLFAGS.
>>
>> Nice find.
>>

>>> Does clang (in 10-STABLE or CURRENT) support also the
>>> option -fstack-protector-strong ?
>>
>> Not sure if clang 3.4 has it, but I found a patch for it here:
>
> I'm told that clang 3.5 has support for it. We do not (yet) have 3.5 in
> CURRENT.

Indeed, support for -fstack-protector-strong was added after clang 3.4.
Upstream is in the process of releasing clang 3.5; they're currently at
-rc3, and unless something weird happens, the actual release should be
soonish.

That said, it might take a while to get this version into the base
system, because there are some problems to overcome.  The major one
being, after 3.4 llvm and clang require a C++11-compatible compiler and
standard library to build. :-)

If there is a great demand for -fstack-protector-strong support, I can
see if it can be backported to our 3.4 version.

-Dimitry