OCAML version 3 (legacy)

Euan Thoms euan at potensol.com
Wed Aug 13 22:27:48 UTC 2014

   > Why? Will not the net/unison232 or the net/unison port simply work?
   > They should be using the latest version of lang/ocaml already.
   Yes, the unison232 will built and work with the OCAML in the tree.
   However with unison, it's critical that the client and server version
   matches. that's why I'm still on 2.32.52, because i have a couple
   hundred deployed clients potentially using unison. It seems that not
   only must the unison version match exactly, but the OCAML database it
   uses must also match. Or at least it must be compatable. OCAML 4.x
   databases are not compatable with 3.x. Hence the problem. Perhaps there
   are other ports out there that OCAML 4.x causes breakage.
   On Thursday, August 14, 2014 06:10 SGT, Gabor Pali <pgj at FreeBSD.org>
   wrote:

     > How would dep endency resolution be affected by your suggested
     method?
     OPAM manages the dependencies itself, without involving pkg(8). For
     what it is worth, you should be able to install unison via OPAM
     easily. Though, it will not put the unison binary to under
     /usr/local/bin but somewhere around ~/.opam/bin instead.
     > The context of my issue was that I needed a unison built with
     OCAML 3.x.