poudriere: setting up jail failes

Bryan Drewery bdrewery at FreeBSD.org
Fri Aug 8 19:24:32 UTC 2014

On 8/8/2014 2:11 PM, Matthias Apitz wrote:
> El día Friday, August 08, 2014 a las 01:43:51PM -0500, Bryan Drewery escribió:
>
>> Yes. For you it is fixed in stable/10 r257460 (which was in before 10.0
>> release) which added -N to mtree. There was a lot of polish at the end
>> of 10.0 so you should probably upgrade to at least 10.0 either way.
>>
>> It could be that older releases building 10 and head for Poudriere may
>> be an issue still. I'll have to test more. Specifically the call of
>> 'make distrib-dirs DB_FROM_SRC=1' seemingly not using the itools version
>> of mtree.
>
> This is perhaps the problem.
>
>> Also note that running a head jail on a 10.0 system is not really
>> supported. You may run into many weird issues building packages. It's
>> supported to have your host be newer than the jails but not the other
>> way around.
>
> Hmm? The poudriere has the '-m svn' flag for creating jails. If one uses
> this flag, the jail will always be newer than the host. If this is an
> issue (which I do not understand if things are done in a jail, using the
> toolchain of the jail) then this flag should be deleted from
> poudriere, IMHO.
>
> Thanks
>
> 	matthias

The use of -v head from a 10.0 system is the issue. Once you start a
build poudriere yells loudly that it is not supported. Major release
jumps are not supported. You can usually get away with a head host using
a head jail that is a few weeks newer as long as KBI does not change.
Doing major releases though can get into trouble with unknown syscalls
and different sized structs and capabilities. FreeBSD only tries to be
backwards-compatible with its interfaces (among major releases), not
guaranteed to be forward or even backwards compatible with head from
yesterday.

--
Regards,
Bryan Drewery