FreeBSD unmaintained ports which are currently scheduled for deletion

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Thu Aug 7 16:51:51 UTC 2014

Am 07.08.2014 um 18:07 schrieb Dennis Glatting:
> On Thu, 2014-08-07 at 17:36 +0200, Kurt Jaeger wrote:
>> Hi!

>>> Deleting Cacti would be a problem.
>>
>> Can you submit a patch ?
>>

> Is it not being maintained?

No. Setting MAINTAINER=ports at FreeBSD.org is the placeholder for
unmaintained ports.

> I hate this tool (Cacti) but I have to support it for a client. If that
> means taking over maintenance, then I offer to do so. However, I am not
> a port maintainer, although I have done some local stuff, so there is a
> learning curve. A mentor would help.

We have the "Porter's Handbook" which is a reasonable starting point,
and we have the ports mailing list here for support - just toss your
questions here.

Regarding staging in particular, we also have
<https://wiki.freebsd.org/ports/StageDir>.

> Ditto www/squid where the latest rev is 3.5 but ports is 3.3. I am
> running a patched 3.4.

The formalities for a ports maintainer are minimal, your e-mail would
already be sufficient.  Make a copy of the original cacti directory,
change it until you think it's good, then make a diff ("diff -Nur
/old/directory /new/directory") and upload it somewhere, or if you think
it's already good to go, file it to our bugzilla and mention the bug ID
here, mentioning you made a patch to make it support staging to prevent
expiry.