ports-mgmt/portmaster and DEFAULT_VERSION=gcc=4.8: lang/gcc dependency added

Luca Pizzamiglio luca.pizzamiglio at gmail.com
Tue Aug 5 14:41:45 UTC 2014

Hi list,
I found a small issue with ports-mgmt/portmaster and the variable
DEFAULT_VERSION defined in /etc/make.conf

I normally use clang, to build my ports, but I use the gcc48 port
also. The actual lang/gcc is gcc 4.7.4, but I wouldn't another gcc
installed :)
In order to use lang/gcc48 instead of lang/gcc, I set
DEFAULT_VERSION=gcc=4.8 in /etc/make.conf

Now, if you try to build with portmaster any port that requires gcc,
the dependency lang/gcc is added (for instance, with astro/wcslib, but
also www/firefox or mail/thunderbird)
 # portmaster -D astro/wcslib

===>>> Currently installed version: wcslib-4.23
===>>> Port directory: /usr/ports/astro/wcslib

===>>> Launching 'make checksum' for astro/wcslib in background
===>>> Gathering dependency list for astro/wcslib from ports
===>>> Launching child to install lang/gcc

===>>> wcslib-4.23 >> lang/gcc (1/1)

===>>> Port directory: /usr/ports/lang/gcc

===>>> Launching 'make checksum' for lang/gcc in background
===>>> Gathering dependency list for lang/gcc from ports

If I run a simple "make" from the directory /usr/ports/astro/wcslib,
no dependency is added and the right gcc is used.

Am I the only one with this issue?

uname -a
FreeBSD pizzamig 9.3-RELEASE FreeBSD 9.3-RELEASE #0 r268512: Thu Jul
10 23:44:39 UTC 2014
root at snap.freebsd.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

Best regards,
pizzamig