WANT_PHP_WEB is just a synonym for WANT_PHP_CGI in automated build environments

Matthew Pounsett matt at conundrum.com
Mon Aug 4 18:56:15 UTC 2014

On Aug 4, 2014, at 09:05 , Alex Dupre <ale at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> Matthew Pounsett ha scritto:
>>
>> It looks to me like the rules that WANT_PHP_WEB uses to decide whether to build the CGI or module version of PHP will always choose the CGI version unless the module is already installed.  If this is true, it means that in automated build environments (e.g. tinderbox) – where *only* the direct dependencies of a port are installed at build time – there isn’t any way to tell WANT_PHP_WEB to install the module.  This effectively makes WANT_PHP_WEB a synonym for WANT_PHP_CGI in these environments.
>>
>> Have I missed something, or is this a significant flaw in the design of the WANT_PHP_{WEB,CGI,MOD} knobs?
>
> You missed the fact that you can install the php module as a separate
> port/package together with the core php package. Not only, mod_php port
> requires core php port, that is the one containing the cgi version. So
> there isn't any problem with tinderbox/poudriere.

I can build it, sure .. but it’s the dependencies I’m trying to get fixed up.  If I can’t tell the ports tree that a WANT_PHP_WEB port should require mod_php5, then when I go to install the package that gets built for that port it’s not going to have the requirement in its meta data, and mod_php5 won’t be installed as a result.

Yes, I can then also go manually install mod_php5, but that’s not really the point of dependencies, is it?