Port's Makefile: aclocal implies the use of automake, but does not respect AUTOMAKE_ARGS

O. Hartmann ohartman at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Sat Apr 26 18:22:13 UTC 2014

I have a problem with porting. The handbook states, see
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/porters-handbook/using-autotools.html,
that aclocal implies the ussage of automake.

Consider this line in the port's Makefile:

USE_AUTOTOOLS=  libltdl aclocal autoheader

The software comes with the basis of Makefile.am an configure.ac, so I have to go through
the configure steps of the GNU autotools. Having the the USE_AUTOTOOLS= set as above and
having the sentence from the porter's handbook in mind, the configure process fails with
"missing". To avoid those messages, I have to add

AUTOMAKE_ARGS+= -a

for --add-missing in automake.

Having USE_AUTOTOOLS=  libltdl aclocal autoheader automake set, AUTOMAKE_ARGS+= -a is
respected. Omit automake from USE_AUTOTOOLS= results in a non-respected AUTOMAKE_ARGS+=
-a and a lot of typical missing errors.

Something is wrong in the logic! Either the porter's handbook is wrong or I'm missing
some knob.

Regards,
Oliver