New port, what's next?

John Marino freebsd.contact at marino.st
Thu Apr 10 18:38:17 UTC 2014

On 4/10/2014 20:28, Baptiste Daroussin wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 10, 2014 at 07:32:31PM +0200, Dominic Fandrey wrote:
>>
>> On 10/04/2014 18:53, Helmut Schneider wrote:
>>> I created a new port, Typo3-LTS. The tgz contains
>>>
>>> - Makefile
>>> - distinfo
>>> - pkg-plist
>>> - pkg-descr
>>> - a diff from www/typo3
>>>
>>> The file has ~150kB so I assume it's to big for a PR.
>>
>> I assume the bulk of that is the pkg-plist. The largest pkg-plist
>> in the ports tree is 4M. In my opinion huge plists should be dynamically
>> generated, but in your case I'd just I'd just temp-host the file
>> somewhere and file a PR with a link and a checksum.
>>
> Autoplist are harmful! and should be avoided as much as possible, I know python
> and ruby has it but I m really not happy about that
>
> autoplist is dangerous because we have no way to control that what is package is
> what the maintainer expect to be packaged! therefore we often end up with
> unoticed problems

Yes, but 6,000 - 20,000 line plists are unwieldy to say the least.
And the danger can be mitigated by the maintainer by reviewing the
internal temporary package list, ideally on multiple platforms.  Also
some plists are really hard to make manually if there are many options
or if the plist morphs depending on the combination of options.

yes, a safety net is removed with a generated plist but it has it's
place.  The maintainer just has to be vigilant.

John