FreeBSD ports which are currently scheduled for deletion

John Marino freebsd.contact at marino.st
Wed Apr 9 18:10:35 UTC 2014

On 4/9/2014 19:56, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
> On 2014-04-08, Tijl Coosemans <tijl at coosemans.org> wrote:
>> Then, once it is reasonable to assume that a port is unused it is first
>> marked deprecated which gives users some time to step forward.
>
> There seems to be the general problem, seen again and again, that
> users only learn of a port's deprecation status when it is finally
> removed and not in the preceding grace period.

I find this highly doubtful.
I will give you that binary package users won't know the package is
deprecated or their is even a problem until the package is no longer
available, but somebody is going to see if if they build from source.

OTOH, if somebody only rebuilds every 15 months, the deprecation period
could come and go.  I guess the ultimate solution is that "pkg info"
shows packages that are deprecated.

In the meantime -- it's still a non-problem as long as "svn revert" works.

John