FreeBSD ports which are currently scheduled for deletion

Big Lebowski spankthespam at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 11:45:53 UTC 2014

On Wed, Apr 9, 2014 at 11:28 AM, John Marino <freebsd.contact at marino.st>wrote:

> On 4/9/2014 11:22, Big Lebowski wrote:
> > While we are not having any way to measure ports usage (or am I wrong
> > here?), we're still building packages from ports, and I would hope that
> we
> > could get some statistics of pkg usage for certain packages from official
> > repositories, could we? This is not exactly direct relationship for the
> > port being used but I would think that such knowledge is better than
> none.
>
> How do you distinguish packages downloaded by mirrors versus those
> downloaded by pkg?  At DragonFly, we'd love to know how to do this
> because it always comes up when the "it's kill to kill i386 platform"
> discussion comes up.  Every time somebody brings up a statistic about
> how many times packages are download (or what % packages downloaded are
> i386) then the very next questions is: are those legitimate downloads.

I dont know, but the numbers of package downloads by mirrors should be the
same for all packages, since mirrors should (in theory) fetch entire
repository, effectively 'nullyfying' their own downloads from the
statistics, and what would stand out, should be actual downloads per
package.

I have already said this is by no means a perfect solution, but having some
data, even if it might be biased more or less seems to be a better thing,
than having no data at all.

> > As a sidenote, perhaps its the time to introduce some sort of
> package/ports
> > usage data gathering to FreeBSD just like Debian/Ubuntu are doing it,
> that
> > would be anonymous and optional?
>
> Maybe pkg adds some unique variable to the download URL.  If not, it
> could, and statistics could be tracked that way by analyzing the web
> server logs.

That seems like a good idea, somethign easily configurable (a bool value)
in pkg config, what could also be enabled by the bsd installer. Is anyone
capable of such changes and reading this thread could give us an idea how
hard would be to implement that and if he/they seem to like the idea?