pkgng vs. portupgrade reporting ports outdated

Anton Afanasyev aasoft at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 23:52:59 UTC 2014

On Fri, Apr 4, 2014 at 4:44 PM, sindrome <sindrome at gmail.com> wrote:

> Here's more information
>
> foo:107:/home/foobar# pkg update
> Updating repository catalogue
>
> foo:108:/home/foobar# pkg upgrade
> Updating repository catalogue
> Nothing to do
>
> Now when I do a 'pkg_version -v|grep needs' I have

pkg_* tools use the old packages database, while the pkg tool uses its own,
new, database.
After you upgraded to pkgng and started using it for all your package
needs, your old database stopped being updated (because the old pkg_* tools
aren't being used to install packages anymore). This is why the old pkg_*
tools are still reporting old version information - they only see what's in
their old database.

Anton