Updating less-than-everything with poudriere & pkgng

Reed A. Cartwright cartwright at asu.edu
Thu Apr 3 16:20:08 UTC 2014

If your ports tree is managed by subversion, you can just selectively
update foobar's directory.  As long as it doesn't depend on a specific
version of perl, poudriere will see that it is updated and perl is
not.

On Thu, Apr 3, 2014 at 10:36 AM, Mathieu Arnold <mat at freebsd.org> wrote:
> +--On 3 avril 2014 11:05:49 -0400 J David <j.david.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> | On Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 6:41 AM, Mathieu Arnold <mat at freebsd.org> wrote:
> |> +--On 1 avril 2014 11:18:05 -0400 J David <j.david.lists at gmail.com>
> |>
> |> Perl 5.12 has been removed about a month and half ago, so, if you were
> |> still using it, it's going to be a pain, you should upgrade to 5.16.
> |
> | Sorry, the version numbers 1.2.3 and 12.3.4_5 were chosen as examples,
> | not meant to be taken literally.
>
> Well, yes, just making sure :-)
>
> |> Sure, instead of using bulk -a or bulk -f portlist, just use bulk
> |> category/foobar, it'll rebuild only the package you asked for, and its
> |> dependencies.
> |
> | This will cause disaster.  If you do this to rebuild foobar, poudriere
> | will also update perl.  Then, when you install the fixed foobar, pkg
> | will intall the updated perl.  Then the unrelated package bazqux you
> | didn't rebuild but which also depends on perl and isn't compatible
> | with the new version silently breaks.  And the first you will hear
> | about it is when all the bazqux users from the third floor show up at
> | the door to your office with torches and pitchforks.
> |
> | What we are looking to do is rebuild only foobar and the things that
> | depend on foobar, NOT the things that foobar depends on.
>
> Poudriere only rebuilds things to be on the safe side.
> Something built for perl 5.14.0 will work with perl 5.14.5.a6_7. If a port
> that needs Perl has changes introduced from the Perl update, it will get a
> portrevision bump.
> If pkg detects that a shared library was updated, it will also force the
> upgrade of the depending ports.
>
> --
> Mathieu Arnold

Reed A. Cartwright, PhD
Assistant Professor of Genomics, Evolution, and Bioinformatics
School of Life Sciences
Center for Evolutionary Medicine and Informatics
The Biodesign Institute
Arizona State University