Problems after upgrade to CUPS 1.7.1 - gstoraster error

Jerry jerry at seibercom.net
Thu Apr 3 10:44:13 UTC 2014

On Wed, 2 Apr 2014 20:09:45 +0200, Dr. Peter Voigt stated:

> After one of the latest ports tree updates on 10.0-RELEASE I upgraded
> CUPS to version 1.7.1. This version of CUPS reveals some strange
> behavior, although printing itself seems to work as expected.
>
> After the printer has finished a job the job is still being marked as
> active. The CUPS web interface has marked the job as 'stopped
> "Filter failed"' and the CUPS version of "lpq" still lists the job as
> being queued.
>
> The cups log file is directed on my system to rsyslogd and shows
> following error messages:
>
> - Job stopped due to filter errors; please consult the error_log file
>   for details.
> - /usr/local/libexec/cups/filter/gstoraster) stopped with status 1.
>
> Fortunately these errors do not block the printing system, e.g. I can
> start further print jobs which will be printed immediately. However it
> is annoying that the printing queue gets filled more and more.
>
> Here are my installed CUPS related packages:
>
> # pkg version -v |grep cups
> cups-1.7.1                         =   up-to-date with port
> cups-base-1.7.1                    =   up-to-date with port
> cups-client-1.7.1                  =   up-to-date with portIn
> cups-filters-1.0.42                =   up-to-date with port
> cups-image-1.7.1                   =   up-to-date with port
> cups-pstoraster-8.15.4_7           =   up-to-date with port
> gutenprint-cups-5.2.8_1            =   up-to-date with port
>
> Any advice is appreciated.
>
> Regards,
> Peter

In the past when I have experienced problems with CUPS, I found it far
easier to go to the source; ie report the problem directly to the CUPS
developers. The CUPS forum is quite helpful and you would probably be
better served by utilizing their services. I assume you are not a member.

Jerry