Downloads policy of Google Code changed

Dr. Rolf Jansen rj at obsigna.com
Wed Apr 2 12:36:04 UTC 2014

Hello,

I am the developer of a port (sysutils/clone) which is hosted on Google Code (https://code.google.com/p/clone/). In the past, I prepared release snapshots for the ports tree to be downloaded from the very projects site.

At the end of the last year, Google Code changed their policy to not to allow anymore new downloads from the projects sites, while old downloads are still available, at least for the time being.

I am going to prepare a new release for the FreeBSD ports, and I am now in doubt where to place the release snapshot of the source code:

Questions:
Is it acceptable for FreeBSD, if I would place new snapshots on one of my personal sites?
How do others deal with the new policy on GC?
Is it perhaps better to move the whole project to another service, which one?

Best regards

Rolf