net-im/prosody post install error

Scot Hetzel swhetzel at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 05:35:37 UTC 2014

On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 4:13 PM, Ross Penner <rossp at f-m.fm> wrote:

> On Sat, 15 Mar 2014, at 08:47 AM, Scot Hetzel wrote:
>> On Fri, Mar 14, 2014 at 9:55 PM, Ross Penner <rossp at f-m.fm> wrote:
>> > When I try to build prosody (on FreeBSD 9.2-RELEASE-p3), I get the
>> > following error once it gets to the installation phase. The error
>> > references already having a prosody user and group. They were created
>> > the first time I tried to install and this message is from my second
>> > attempt.
>> >
>> > ===>  Installing for prosody-0.9.3
>> > /bin/sh /usr/ports/net-im/prosody/work/pkg-install prosody-0.9.3
>> > PRE-INSTALL
>> > prosody:*:242:
>> > You already have a group "prosody", so I will use it.
>> > pw: user 'prosody' already exists
>> > Adding user "prosody" failed...
>> > *** [pre-install] Error code 1
>> >

>> > Thanks for any help or insight you can provide.
>>
>> The pkg-install script should be detecting the user, what does the
>> following command show?
>>
>> /usr/sbin/pw user show prosody ; echo $?
>>
>> On my system with no prosody user it returns with:
>>
>> pw: no such user `prosody`
>> 67
>>
>> It should return with a value of zero, when the port is installed:
>>
>> # /usr/sbin/pw user show prosody ; echo $?
>> prosody:*:242:1::0:0:Prosody XMMP Server:/nonexistent:/usr/sbin/nologin
>> 0
>>
>> I have tried installing/deinstalling/re-installing the port, and don't
>> get the prosody user already exists error.
>>

> ok, so I run "/usr/sbin/pw user show prosody ; echo $?" and I get the
> same error you do on your system with no user. When I look at
> /etc/passwd, the prosody user is there:
>
> prosody:*:242:1:Prosody XMPP Server:/nonexistent:/usr/sbin/nologin
>
> Also, when I try to remove the prosody user, it fails:
>
> # pw userdel -n prosody
> pw: no such user `prosody'

Is the prosody user in /etc/master.passwd?

Try running:

/usr/sbin/pwd_mkdb -p /etc/master.passwd

to re-create the password databases and /etc/passwd.

Note:
- make backups of /etc/passwd, /etc/spwd.db and /etc/pwd.db
- make sure that all of your users are in /etc/master.passwd

--
DISCLAIMER:

No electrons were maimed while sending this message. Only slightly bruised.