Thunderbird Shared object "libldap60.so" not found, required by "libxul.so" Couldn't load XPCOM.

Florian Riehm mail at friehm.de
Sun Sep 29 09:34:01 UTC 2013

On 09/29/13 05:46, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 28, 2013 at 12:17 PM, Miguel Clara <miguelmclara at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> After successful compiling thunderbird on FreeBSD I'm not able to run it!
>>
>> This is a FreeBSD 10-current (r255788) box, and I'm getting this error:
>>
>> miguelc at r2d2:/home/miguelc % thunderbird
>> XPCOMGlueLoad error for file /usr/local/lib/thunderbird/libxul.so:
>> Shared object "libldap60.so" not found, required by "libxul.so"
>> Couldn't load XPCOM.

I have the same issue on 9.2. For me the problem only occurs if I set
WITH_SSP_PORTS=yes in make.conf. Is this option set per default in
FreeBSD 10?

I have not figured out yet why stack protection leads to this problem.
Stack protection and missing libraries seems to be totaly unrelated for
me.

As (dirty) workaround you can set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH by hand before
starting thunderbird:

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib/thunderbird

We should try to figure out whats thunderbirds problem with
stack-protection.

Regards

Florian