[RFC] Stage support for easy_install

Marcus von Appen mva at FreeBSD.org
Sat Sep 28 10:05:24 UTC 2013

On, Sat Sep 28, 2013, Olivier Duchateau wrote:

> 2013/9/26 William Grzybowski <wg at freebsd.org>:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I made an attempt to support stage for easy-install, you can find the patch here http://people.freebsd.org/~wg/easyinstall-stage.txt
> >
> > Aprrently it works :), let me know what you think.
>
> Thanks, it works fine.
>
> I made new diff after recent change in Mk/bsd.python.mk
>
> https://people.freebsd.org/~olivierd/patches/bsd.python.mk.diff

Unfortunately it does not. easy_install has the tendency to create .pth
and site.py* files in the stagedir, causing leftovers that we are
currently unable to handle.

From the recent discussion with some of the distutils people and
according to some bug reports to distribute and setuptools, there is
currently no guaranteed way not to break things, if we work around that
issue (there is a -m switch to easy_install, but that forces eggs to
explicitly add a requirement into their import lines).

I'm afraid to say that this might take some more time to sort out.

Cheers
Marcus