Documentation: flags for preferred port-version

Beeblebrox zaphod at berentweb.com
Sun Sep 22 15:59:19 UTC 2013

In the past I used bsdadminscripts to define preferred port versions: For
example, perl5.16 instead of the default perl5.14.

While the on-going work to standardize Makefile flags brings much-needed
corrective improvements, it also causes confusion for correct port-version
flag settings. It's almost impossible to keep track of correct syntax re
preferred port versions for host and poudriere environment make.conf, before
the error is realized and one has to start all over.

The perl example above is fairly easy to solve, but a great number of others
are not. A port calling for lang/gcc for example, will almost certainly
compile with lang/gcc48 as well. However, many ports disregard the
"GCC_DEFAULT_VERSION= 4.8" setting, so one ends up with 1/2 ports being
built with gcc48 and the other half with gcc46.

My request is for a wiki (or handbook) page on flags/syntax to use when
specifying the correct port-version for builds. I realize that many ports
Makefiles have not yet been revised to the new standards and may fail to
adhere to settings in /etc/make.conf due to that. However, a wiki page for
port users (and not port maintainers) specifying the single flag needed to
achieve the task at hand would be useful.