How do I "upgrade" from deprecated KNOBS?

John Marshall john.marshall at riverwillow.com.au
Wed Sep 18 23:05:10 UTC 2013

I upgraded ports on a server this morning and saw the following...

  ===>>> Waiting on fetch & checksum for ports-mgmt/portmaster <<<===
  WITHOUT_X11 is deprecated use X11 option instead

  WITHOUT_X11 is deprecated use X11 option instead
  ===>  License BSD accepted by the user

My guess is that this means that my use of the global WITHOUT_X11 KNOB
in make.conf is now deprecated but the warning message does not give me
any clue as to what to do about it.  It says, "Use the X11 option
instead".  OK.  How do I do that?  A reference or example in the warning
message would be helpful.  For example:

 - [see Handbook Chapter n]; or
 - [use <new_syntax>_X11 instead]

Any pointers?