setting the password of a automatically created account

Darren Pilgrim list_freebsd at bluerosetech.com
Fri Sep 6 17:01:29 UTC 2013

On 9/5/2013 9:00 PM, Aryeh Friedman wrote:
> related questions:
>
> 1. How do I add the user to wheel (has it's own group but needs to be in
> wheel for reason number #2)?
> 2. How do I modify (in the safest possible way) an other port's installed
> config file(s) (namely I need to in the case of this port modify
> /usr/local/etc/sudoers to allow the no password option for wheel members)?

The answer to both is you don't.  Include documentation telling the
admin exactly what needs special access or elevated priveleges and let
the admin make that happen.  If you think something needs root because
it needs to open something in /dev, tell the admin it needs to do
something with /dev/foo.  Devd and other mechanisms can provide that
without root access.  The same idea applies to almost all of what people
typically think requires root access.