The Original VI ?

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Wed Sep 4 22:06:53 UTC 2013

I've just been fiddling with some unicode/utf-8 stuff, and managed
to figure out how to get both xterm and more (aka less) to properly
deal with utf-8 characters.  It then occured to me that it might be
nice if I could cut and paste utf-8 stuff into vi, which is the text
editor that I happen to use.

After a quick bit of googling I found this:

  http://newsgroups.derkeiler.com/Archive/Comp/comp.editors/2011-03/msg00010.html

Apparently, it is correct that FreeBSD distributes nvi as vi (and as
far as I can tell, that _does not_ currently support utf-8), but I
sort-of thought that maybe this "original" vi, now with unicode support,
had at least made it into the ports tree, but I can't seem to find it there.

Am I wrong?  Is it in there?  If so, where please?