Official FreeBSD Binary Packages now available for pkgng

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk m.e.sanliturk at gmail.com
Thu Oct 31 22:16:59 UTC 2013

On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 5:44 PM, Bryan Drewery <bdrewery at freebsd.org> wrote:

> On 10/31/2013 4:39 PM, Mehmet Erol Sanliturk wrote:
> >

> > On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 4:58 PM, Bryan Drewery <bdrewery at freebsd.org
> > <mailto:bdrewery at freebsd.org>> wrote:
> >
> >     On 10/31/2013 3:16 PM, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> >     > On 10/31/13 1:10 AM, Thomas Steen Rasmussen wrote:
> >     >> On 31-10-2013 09:05, Beeblebrox wrote:
> >     >>> Brian:
> >     >>> Please make sure your message gets posted on
> >     >>> http://forums.freebsd.org/ as a
> >     >>> general announcement.
> >     >>> Also, the DNS records for http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/ does not seem
> >     to have
> >     >>> flushed-through yet (not working as of 08:00 GMT)
> >     >>
> >     >> Quoting from Brians excellent email:
> >     >>
> >     >> "Note that pkg.FreeBSD.org <http://pkg.FreeBSD.org> does not have
> >     a browsable web page on it
> >     >> and does not have a DNS A record. This is intended as it is an SRV
> >     >> host. pkg(8) knows how to properly use it."
> >     >>
> >     >
> >     > That seems to raise the bar for people trying to check
> connectivity to
> >     > it via ping/telnet.   Is that intentional?
> >     >
> >     > -Alfred
> >

> >     You can find the real hosts with dig(1) or drill(1):
> >
> >     # dig SRV _http._tcp.pkg.freebsd.org <http://tcp.pkg.freebsd.org>
> >     # drill SRV _http._tcp.pkg.freebsd.org <http://tcp.pkg.freebsd.org>
> >

> >     --
> >     Regards,
> >     Bryan Drewery
> >

> > At present , the packages information and themselves are available from
> > , such as :
> >
> > ftp://ftp1.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/amd64/
> >
> > It seems that new pkg compatible packages will not be exposed to the
> > Internet such as
> >

> > http://avalon.dragonflybsd.org/dports/
> > http://pkg.wolfpond.org/
> > http://mirror.exonetric.net/pub/pkgng/
> >

> > This will be a very significant inconvenience for the possible users
> > because without an installed FreeBSD , they will not be able to see what
> > are the available packages there .
>
> While I agree it is an inconvenience, why would you need to browse the
> packages on some webpage without FreeBSD installed? Since packages are
> installed from ports you can just load www.freshports.org to find what
> you want. With it installed you can run 'pkg search'. Browsing a page
> for downloadable packages is a bit outdated and pkg won't support that
> anyhow as it will want all of the dependencies; you can't just download
> 1 package, you need the whole set available. A listing of tarballs is
> not very helpful for inquiries as opposed to pkg search or freshports.
>

> > Thank you very much .
> >

> > Mehmet Erol Sanliturk
> >

> --
> Regards,
> Bryan Drewery

This packages list inspection is very important because when the needed
package(s) is ( are ) not
available , I am not downloading and installing the operating system in
question .

This is saving both my time and resources of the respective operating
system owners and supporters .

For the FreeBSD , freshports is  not showing release or snapshot related
package lists .

Thank you very much .

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk