updating my first port

Fernando Apesteguía fernando.apesteguia at gmail.com
Wed Oct 30 17:36:18 UTC 2013

On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 5:56 PM, Alex Laurie <alex.r.laurie at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm updating a port for the first time. I've made the changes and done all
> the tests and it works fine. I'm using the SVN option in the handbook and
> I've updated the files and got
>
> root at test:/usr/local/ports_update/taskjuggler # svn status
> M       Makefile
> M       distinfo
>
> I'm trying to create a diff as per the last part but I'm not quite sure
> what they mean by basename
>
> The last step is to make a unified
> diff(1)<http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=diff&sektion=1> of
> the files against SVN:
> % *svn diff > ../`basename ${PWD}`.diff*

${PWD} contains the directory you are working on, for instance
~/my_ports/my_thirdparty_application.
basename ${PWD} strips everything from that path up to (and including) the
slash, this is, it gives you "my_thirdparty_application" (without the
quotes).

The whole command is just to create a diff of your files against the repo
and calling the diff file with the same name as the directory you are in.
Notice that it adds the .diff to the file name.

HTH