Finding abandoned ports

Guido Falsi mad at madpilot.net
Wed Oct 30 14:19:26 UTC 2013

On 10/30/13 15:02, Alex Laurie wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Only really just getting into FreeBSD but I am inspired to help out. I'm
> not a developer or anything. However I do like to install and update
> things. I though one area I may be able to help out is in the ports side of
> things. I have been through the Porters handbook and thought I would try
> updating some out of date ports to cut my teeth so to speak. Looking around
> I don't seem to see anywhere with abandoned ports that need some love.
>
> Any help or pointers?

Hi,

This is a great method to start helping with the ports tree.

First of all you can look here:

http://portscout.freebsd.org/ports@freebsd.org.html

This is a list of unmaintained ports, with highlight for the ones
needing to be updated. Keep in mind that the check for new versions is
automatic, so it can miss some and also report false positives.

Good luck! :)

--
Guido Falsi <mad at madpilot.net>