State of the Porters' Handbook

John Marino freebsd.contact at marino.st
Mon Oct 28 10:04:03 UTC 2013

On 10/28/2013 10:54, Dominic Fandrey wrote:
> On 28/10/2013 10:34, John Marino wrote:
>> On 10/28/2013 10:29, Dominic Fandrey wrote:
>>>
>>> That's a handfull. What about installers that hard-code directories
>>> during install?
>>
>> They can hardcode into the stage directory.  Anywhere else is wrong and
>> has to be fixed.
>
> But then they won't be usable once installed into /usr/local.

If there are files in those directories, they'll be on the plist and
stage handles them.  I'd have to look up how to create empty directories
properly.

>>> That doesn't sound acceptable, considering the feature isn't even
>>> mentioned in the Porters' Handbook.
>>
>> Bapt has made several calls for help to document this in the Porters
>> Handbook.  He's said it's on his plate but he's behind and has asked for
>> the help.  Maybe you could help him out?
>
> So far I see stage as a problem, not something I want to advance.

I don't know how to respond to this.
1. It indicates that don't understand the benefits, nor that it's 5
years overdue, nor that its sorely needed
2. Stage is not going away.  There is not another option.
3. You've been given a source of documentation.  It's not in the
handbook, but it does exist in some form.  What more do you need to
progress?

John