PKGNG: ability to view pkg-plist?

Matthew Seaman matthew at FreeBSD.org
Fri Oct 25 22:06:08 UTC 2013

On 25/10/2013 18:24, Ken Moore wrote:
> I have been looking around, but I am unable to find a way to easily read
> the pkg-plist within a PKGNG package on the repository. Is this
> functionality missing in pkg, or am I just missing something?

If you've downloaded the package tarball, then like this:

lucid-nonsense:...cache/pkg/All:% pkg info -l -F ./pkg-1.1.4_8.txz
pkg-1.1.4_8:
	/usr/local/share/licenses/pkg-1.1.4_8/catalog.mk
	/usr/local/share/licenses/pkg-1.1.4_8/LICENSE
	/usr/local/share/licenses/pkg-1.1.4_8/BSD
	/usr/local/etc/pkg.conf.sample
	/usr/local/sbin/pkg
	/usr/local/sbin/pkg-static
	/usr/local/sbin/pkg2ng
	/usr/local/include/pkg.h
	/usr/local/lib/libpkg.so.1
	/usr/local/lib/libpkg.so
	/usr/local/lib/libpkg.a
	/usr/local/etc/periodic/daily/400.status-pkg
	/usr/local/etc/periodic/daily/411.pkg-backup
	/usr/local/etc/periodic/daily/490.status-pkg-changes
	/usr/local/etc/periodic/security/410.pkg-audit
	/usr/local/etc/periodic/security/460.pkg-checksum
	/usr/local/libdata/pkgconfig/pkg.pc
	/usr/local/man/man3/pkg_printf.3.gz
	/usr/local/man/man5/pkg-repository.5.gz
	/usr/local/man/man5/pkg.conf.5.gz
	/usr/local/man/man8/pkg-add.8.gz
	/usr/local/man/man8/pkg-annotate.8.gz
	/usr/local/man/man8/pkg-audit.8.gz
	/usr/local/man/man8/pkg-autoremove.8.gz
	/usr/local/man/man8/pkg-backup.8.gz
	/usr/local/man/man8/pkg-check.8.gz
	/usr/local/man/man8/pkg-clean.8.gz
	/usr/local/man/man8/pkg-convert.8.gz
	/usr/local/man/man8/pkg-create.8.gz
	/usr/local/man/man8/pkg-delete.8.gz
	/usr/local/man/man8/pkg-fetch.8.gz
	/usr/local/man/man8/pkg-info.8.gz
	/usr/local/man/man8/pkg-install.8.gz
	/usr/local/man/man8/pkg-lock.8.gz
	/usr/local/man/man8/pkg-query.8.gz
	/usr/local/man/man8/pkg-register.8.gz
	/usr/local/man/man8/pkg-remove.8.gz
	/usr/local/man/man8/pkg-repo.8.gz
	/usr/local/man/man8/pkg-rquery.8.gz
	/usr/local/man/man8/pkg-search.8.gz
	/usr/local/man/man8/pkg-set.8.gz
	/usr/local/man/man8/pkg-shell.8.gz
	/usr/local/man/man8/pkg-shlib.8.gz
	/usr/local/man/man8/pkg-static.8.gz
	/usr/local/man/man8/pkg-stats.8.gz
	/usr/local/man/man8/pkg-unlock.8.gz
	/usr/local/man/man8/pkg-update.8.gz
	/usr/local/man/man8/pkg-updating.8.gz
	/usr/local/man/man8/pkg-upgrade.8.gz
	/usr/local/man/man8/pkg-version.8.gz
	/usr/local/man/man8/pkg-which.8.gz
	/usr/local/man/man8/pkg.8.gz
	/usr/local/share/zsh/site-functions/_pkg
	/usr/local/etc/bash_completion.d/_pkg.bash

Otherwise there is an optional '-l' flag to 'pkg repo' that creates a
database of all of the files installable by all of the packages in the
repo -- which should be downloadable as 'filesite.txz'.  Whether this
exists or not depends on the choices of the repository maintainer.  It's
not currently available from the official repos for http://pkg.freebsd.org/

> Just for a bit of context:
> I am working on adding the functionality into EasyPBI to work *without*
> a local copy of the ports tree available, so I am trying to grab all the
> information about a given package from the remote repository (with user
> privileges) to maintain the "Easy" part of EasyPBI in the new version.
> Most of the information can be easily pulled using "pkg rquery", but the
> only thing I am still missing is the ability to search through the
> pkg-plist for binaries/icons/etc..

Yeah -- the repository catalogue is a collection of selected package
metadata for the packages in the repo.  Unfortunately the lists of files
and directories from each package aren't part of that selection.  Mostly
because of the space they'd take up.

Whether it would be desirable to publish a 'filesite.txz' index of all
the files in the packages on the official repos is a matter for debate.
It would probably mean some changes to poudriere too -- I can't see any
obvious way of telling it to run 'pkg repo -l' instead of plain 'pkg repo'.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--
Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil.