How to disable staging support in ports tree universally?

Kimmo Paasiala kpaasial at gmail.com
Sat Oct 12 13:19:44 UTC 2013

On Sat, Oct 12, 2013 at 2:35 PM, Daniel Nebdal <dnebdal at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 12, 2013 at 11:08 AM, Torfinn Ingolfsen <tingox at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> On Sat, Oct 12, 2013 at 10:15 AM, Matthew Seaman <matthew at freebsd.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Staging is here to stay.  There's no way of "turnng it off."  If the
>>
>> Why? Why can't it be turned off?
>> What is the technical reason / reasoning behind this design decision?
>> And why is staging special, compared to all other features that has
>> been introduced to FreeBSD in the last few years?
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Torfinn Ingolfsen
>
> As I've understood it, it's not so much a "feature" as an
> infrastructure *change* - asking to disable it is, from now on, about
> as meaningful as asking if you could disable the fetch stage.

Staging solves so many problems with the FreeBSD ports(7) system that
it's very worthwhile to go trough the bumpy road of fixing the
individual ports that don't play well with it. Looking at it now I
hope these developments had happened 5 years earlier but as they say,
better late than never.

-Kimmo