[HEADSUP] Staging, packaging and more

Erwin Lansing erwin at FreeBSD.org
Fri Oct 11 13:42:36 UTC 2013

On Tue, Oct 08, 2013 at 01:21:40PM +0200, Ulrich Spörlein wrote:

> A user should not care, if not installing headers for package X solves
> a conflict, do it! But please don't make it a default to not install
> headers because 3% of the FreeBSD system builders might find it
> useful.

Exactly my reason for suggestion doing both.  The extra work for the
project in terms of mirroring diskspace and building time are small,
especially with the subpackaging support, and it will be a huge gain for
that 3% of users, but won't affect the default user.

Or to extend bapt's earlier example, there will be:
curl-bin
curl-lib
curl-dev

*and*
curl

packages which includes all of the above and will be the default for
those who don't care, but we add the first three for those who want.  If
we have split package support, it is just too easy to not to.

Erwin

--
Erwin Lansing                                    http://droso.dk
erwin at FreeBSD.org                        http:// www.FreeBSD.org