FreeBSD mplayer port update?

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Tue Oct 8 18:18:46 UTC 2013

In message <CAFU734xXW2A3k_Db1RAhdpDoUeupx6G1fM-q1tu78Jb6=y2-fg at mail.gmail.com>
, you wrote:

>On 8 October 2013 02:10, Ronald F. Guilmette <rfg at tristatelogic.com> wrote:
>
>> Could someone (anyone) explain to me why the FreeBSD port of mplayer
>> has not been updated at all since March 8th of this year?
>
>Yes.
>That is because I am preparing roughly 2 major updates per year,
>preferably shortly after a FreeBSD release. The other changes to the
>port are to maintain compatibility and fix whatever problems users may
>have.
>
>To pre-empt the inevitable question: Yes, there will be a new version
>before the end of October.
>Do you miss a specific feature in the current port or why do you press
>for an update?

The answer to your question is just this:

On very rare occasions, I come upon a video that does not seem to
play correctly (using mplayer).  When this happens, it may be the fault
of the video itself, or perhaps of mplayer.  If I knew that my mplayer
had been updated recently, then I would tend more to suspect the video
file of being corrupted.

And also, of course, even when videos play "correctly" I do often wonder
whether or not I am getting the full benefits of my hardware.