Explain staging

Anton Shterenlikht mexas at bris.ac.uk
Mon Oct 7 09:24:25 UTC 2013

>From: Matthew Seaman <m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk>
>To: freebsd-ports at freebsd.org
>Subject: Re: Explain staging
>
>On 03/10/2013 08:56, Anton Shterenlikht wrote:
>> sorry, I still don't get it.
>> What is achived by staging?
>
>There are 4 main advantages:
>
>   1) You can build a port and then create a package from the stage
>      directory without having to install it on your build system.  You
>      usually don't need root privileges to do this.

What about "make fetch"? It puts files by default under
ports/distfiles, which, by default, is 755:

$ make fetch
===>   xearth-1.2 depends on file: /usr/local/sbin/pkg - found
=> xearth-1.2.tar.xz doesn't seem to exist in /usr/ports/distfiles/.
=> /usr/ports/distfiles is not writable by you; cannot fetch.
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/ports/astro/xearth
$

What about "make extract"? Same problem:

$ make extract
===>   xearth-1.2 depends on file: /usr/local/sbin/pkg - found
===> Fetching all distfiles required by xearth-1.2 for building
===>  Extracting for xearth-1.2
=> SHA256 Checksum OK for xearth-1.2.tar.xz.
mkdir: /usr/ports/astro/xearth/work: Permission denied
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/ports/astro/xearth
$

"make checksum" works, of course, because no files are
created:

$ make checksum
===>   xearth-1.2 depends on file: /usr/local/sbin/pkg - found
===> Fetching all distfiles required by xearth-1.2 for building
=> SHA256 Checksum OK for xearth-1.2.tar.xz.
$

Then "make stage" fails again:

$ make stage
===>  Patching for xearth-1.2
touch: /usr/ports/astro/xearth/work/.patch_done.xearth._usr_local: Permission denied
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/ports/astro/xearth
$

So I make it under root.
Then "make check-orphans" fail:

$ make check-orphans
cannot create /usr/ports/astro/xearth/work/.expanded-plist: Permission denied
*** Error code 2

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/ports/astro/xearth
$

Finally, "make package" fails:

$ make package
===>  Building package for xearth-1.2
mkdir: /usr/ports/astro/xearth/work/.metadir: Permission denied
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/ports/astro/xearth
$

I'm probably missing something important here.
The wiki page only says: "Make sure you tested
make package as a normal user (not root).
If that fails, add NEED_ROOT in the port. "
Why would it not fail?

Do I need to set up separate distfiles directory,
or something like this?

>   2) Instead of (typically) just running the install target of the
>      piece of software, and then trusting that the pkg-plist contains
>      an accurate list of what gets installed, now we take the pkg-plist
>      and extract the matching items from the stage directory to make a
>      package.  Only things on the plist get installed, and things on
>      the plist but not present in the staging dir will flag up as an
>      error in the port.

This is not clear either.
I my port I have:

PLIST_FILES=    bin/xearth \
                lib/X11/xearth/freebsd.committers.markers \
                lib/X11/xearth/freebsd.ftp.markers
PLIST_DIRS=     lib/X11/xearth

I don't have pkg-plist at all.
What do I need to change?

>If you have an instruction in you port to install a file from the build
>area into the filesystem under ${PREFIX} =3D /usr/local then you need to
>change it to install to ${STAGEDIR}${PREFIX}/whatever.  Note: this only
>applies to the *install* parts: when building the package, you should
>configure it for the eventual final install location under /usr/local.

Does this look right:

do-install:
        @${INSTALL_PROGRAM} ${WRKSRC}/xearth ${STAGEDIR}${PREFIX}/bin
        @${INSTALL_MAN} ${WRKSRC}/xearth.man ${MANPREFIX}/man/man1/xearth.1
        @${MKDIR} ${STAGEDIR}${PREFIX}/lib/X11/xearth
# Copy the list of FreeBSD sites & committers locations
.for marker in freebsd.committers.markers freebsd.ftp.markers
        @${INSTALL_DATA} ${FILESDIR}/${marker} ${STAGEDIR}${PREFIX}/lib/X11/xearth
.endfor

Many thanks

Anton