ports / Makefile / check if default compiler is GCC and version is 4.2+

Baptiste Daroussin bapt at FreeBSD.org
Sat Oct 5 13:18:09 UTC 2013

On Sat, Oct 05, 2013 at 02:44:27PM +0200, Andras Horvath wrote:
> Dear Members,
>
> I'd like to ask your help. I'm a developer and maintainer of a port and I intend to give different compile options for different compilers when building my software. I'm using the OpenMP feature of GCC that is available from GCC version 4.2 and above.
>
> I would like to know how I could determine in my Makefile whether the default compiler is GCC and it's version is >= 4.2 ?
>
> I'd like to go with the preffered standard way.
>
> Does it make any sense to try to support GCC version lower than 4.2? If not, I reckon it would be enough for me to check against GCC only without its version. If so, then would this be enough? :
>
> .if ${CC} == "gcc"

It doesn't make sense, $[CC} == "gcc" is not enough at all for that, if you
Some patches allowing to better play with different compilers is coming.

regards,
Bapt