Packages missing after "Re-installation" with portmaster

Fabian Keil freebsd-listen at fabiankeil.de
Sat Oct 5 12:29:54 UTC 2013

RW <rwmaillists at googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 5 Oct 2013 12:44:52 +0200
> Fabian Keil wrote:
>
> > I'm occasionally missing packages after trying to rebuild them with
> > portmaster. For example I just "lost" liferea:
> >
> > fk at r500 ~ $portmaster liferea
> >
> > ===>>> Currently installed version: liferea-1.8.15
> > ===>>> SU Running pkg_delete for liferea-1.8.15
> > Deinstallation has been requested for the following 1 packages:
> >
> > 	liferea-1.8.15
> >
> > The deinstallation will free 3 MB
> > [1/1] Deleting liferea-1.8.15... done
> >
> > ===>>> SU Running make install
> > Has anyone seen this behaviour?
>
> What behaviour? The old version was removed and the new one installed.
> I don't see any evidence that anything was lost.

The old version was removed and portmaster claimed that the new one
was installed but as the lack of "make install" output shows, the port
wasn't actually installed and in fact it wasn't even built. Manually
building and installing it worked as expected.

In other cases the new version was properly built and portmaster
apparently just skipped the "make install" while claiming the opposite.

Fabian