portupdate fails cause build dependencies are not installed, staging related

Hilko Meyer hilko.meyer at gmx.de
Fri Oct 4 16:01:21 UTC 2013

Hi,

updating libSM and libX11 fails with a configure error. Looking at the build log
shows that configure for both ports missed some files that should be installed
from build only dependencies.

Full buildlog is attached, but I think the following excerpt for
devel/xorg-macros should be enough to show what happens:

| ===>   bigreqsproto-1.1.2 depends on file: /usr/local/libdata/pkgconfig/xorg-macros.pc - not found
| ===>    Verifying package for /usr/local/libdata/pkgconfig/xorg-macros.pc in /usr/ports/devel/xorg-macros
| ===> Fetching all distfiles required by xorg-macros-1.17.1 for building
| ===>  Extracting for xorg-macros-1.17.1
| ===>  Patching for xorg-macros-1.17.1
| ===>   xorg-macros-1.17.1 depends on executable: pkgconf - found
| ===>  Configuring for xorg-macros-1.17.1
[...]
| ===>  Building for xorg-macros-1.17.1
| ===>  Staging for xorg-macros-1.17.1
| ===>   Generating temporary packing list
[...]
| ====> Compressing man pages
| ===>  Building package for xorg-macros-1.17.1
| Creating package /usr/ports/devel/xorg-macros/work/xorg-macros-1.17.1.tbz
| Registering depends:.
| Creating bzip'd tar ball in '/usr/ports/devel/xorg-macros/work/xorg-macros-1.17.1.tbz'
| ===>   Returning to build of bigreqsproto-1.1.2

For me it looks like it built, installed to staging area, and the package is
built, but the port wasn't installed and then configure failed cause it didn't
found the required files.

System is 8.3-RELEASE-p11

Test build with NO_STAGE=yes is running right now. Ok, build with NO_STAGE=yes
worked. Do you need the buildlog for the working build too?

regards,
Hilko
PS: I always run portupgrade with the -p option to build packages. Is that
superfluous now?