poudriere feature suggestion: retry with gcc

Beeblebrox zaphod at berentweb.com
Fri Oct 4 10:15:33 UTC 2013

I have a pure clang world and no GCC from base (WITHOUT_GCC= yes). The same
goes for the poudriere build environment.

When doing massive updates (like the recent pixman-dependent ports), I get a
number of ports that fail to build. The number of failed + skipped was about
150 for this run for example. I also have gnome3 merged ports tree. When I
tried to build the failed ports on host, the compile broke just as it had in
the poudriere run, but when I re-tried with USE_GCC=4.6, most failed ports
got built. So it looks like many of the compile breakage is related to not
having base GCC42 on the system.

While the gcc -> clang shift is on-going, it would be very helpful if
poudriere.conf had an option to retry only once to compile a failed port
with the USE_GCC (or several user-defined) flags. So something like:
RETRY_ONFAIL=yes
RETRY_FLAGS="USE_GCC NOCCACHE"

Regards.

-----
FreeBSD-9.2-stable_amd64_root-on-zfs_clang-only-world