[HEADSUP] Staging, packaging and more

Kevin Oberman rkoberman at gmail.com
Thu Oct 3 16:50:22 UTC 2013

On Thu, Oct 3, 2013 at 5:17 AM, Andriy Gapon <avg at freebsd.org> wrote:

> on 03/10/2013 11:48 Baptiste Daroussin said the following:
> > This also allows lots of new features to come:
> > - Allow to create sub-packages
> > - Allow to create debuginfo packages.
>
> I'd like to mention a few other possibilities along the same lines:
> - doc packages
> - examples packages
> - "devel" packages (headers, tools and other files required for compiling
> dependent software, but not generally needed for an end user)
>
> All open up to a debate, of course.
>
> Thank you very much for doing this major step!
> --
> Andriy Gapon

Staging is a major step forward and I am very happy to see it. This very
well written message on not only what staging is, but why it is important
is going to make a lot of people comfortable about what has happened, but I
really wish this message had come out before it was introduced into ports.
That would have eliminated a lot of confusion as to what was going on.

There have been a LOT of major changes to ports/packages over the past few
months and I really, really appreciate all of the work put into them, but
I would be even happier if there was a bit more communication about what is
changing just to avoid confusion.

Thanks again for the work on this and other recent ports/pkg updates.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
E-mail: rkoberman at gmail.com