poudirere behave-alike for

John Marino dragonflybsd at marino.st
Mon Nov 25 07:41:31 UTC 2013

On 11/25/2013 02:15, Christopher J. Ruwe wrote:
> I think my question is slightly off-topic, but I think freebsd-ports@
> may be the best of many not so good fits:
>
> I need to build packages for Solaris and SmartOS. My first choice
> would be ports, which unfortunately are not very well suited to
> cross-building. Instead I use, as many people, pkgsrc.
>
> I would like to leverage pkgsrc with something like poudriere,
> especially as I have ZFS and zones in Solaris/SmartOS. I found in a
> message on the DragonFlyBSD list
> http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/mailarchive/users/2013-01/msg00008.html
> a mention of poudriere being used on DragonFly/pkgsrc.

I was involved in that referenced email.

The first point to make is that currently ports is *not* an option for
solaris or SmartOS, regardless of its ability to cross compile.

Point #2 is that I want to try to bring ports to the solaris-alike
family in the future (aka sunports), but work on this hasn't started
yet, and adapting solaris will be a lot more work than adapting
DragonFly was (and believe me DF was *A LOT* of work.

Point #3 is that if I were still heavily involved in pkgsrc, I would
probably create a branch of poudriere that supported pkgsrc.  It is
something I would recommend highly to the pkgsrc community.  However, it
suffers greatly from "Not invented Here" syndrome, so most consider
(without proper evaluation) that pkgsrc tools are more or less
equivalent.  The fact is that they are not.

> Does anybody know of the state of this piece of software? The git
> repos I can find on google are stale links. As etoilebsd is
> referenced in the mail from DragonFly, I chose to ask here first.

There is no poudriere-for-pkgsrc.
The current poudriere branches are here:
https://fossil.etoilebsd.net/poudriere/brlist

For pkgsrc your choices are:
http://pkgsrc.se/pkgtools/distbb
http://pkgsrc.se/pkgtools/pbulk

Here's a recent post about setting up pbulk:
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/pkgsrc-users/2013/11/09/msg018881.html

In general its poorly documented and difficult to set up parallel
building.  The script above is yet another attempt to reduce the
complexity but I don't think either pbulk or distcc have nearly the
polish or features that poudriere has.  But take that with a grain of
salt because I haven't used either in a long time.

One more thing: SmartOS not only uses pkgsrc officially, they have a
full builder farm that makes a full set of packages quarterly packages
available.  It also works on other illumos platforms.  The best approach
is just use their work.

Another tutorial how to set up bulk build:
http://www.perkin.org.uk/posts/distributed-chrooted-pkgsrc-bulk-builds.html

info about packages already built:
http://www.perkin.org.uk/posts/whats-new-in-pkgsrc-2013Q2.html

You might want to check out the reset of www.perkin.org.uk for