DESTDIR support broken?

Peter Pentchev roam at ringlet.net
Fri Nov 22 13:27:22 UTC 2013

On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 02:02:28PM +0100, Dominic Fandrey wrote:
> On 19/11/2013 18:44, Dominic Fandrey wrote:

> >> I would expect DESTDIR=/some/path just work for any port. Last commit
> >> to bsd.destdir was over a year ago so either it has been broken for a
> >> long time or some other more recent commit has broken it.
> >
> > /root/tmpdest is a complete FreeBSD chroot (I did a
> > "make installworld distribution DESTDIR=/root/tmpdest" right beforehand).
> >
> > I tried several ports, they all exhibit the same failure.
>
> The issue is that BSD make (in stable/10) passes "set -e" to the shell
> by default.
>
> I submitted the details and a fix:

Hmm, even if this is so, I wonder if there would not be another funny
problem later: for ports that actually use staging, bsd.stage.mk tries
to pass a DESTDIR of its own to upstream's build system, so the DESTDIR
specified on the make(1) command line might not be passed to upstream's
build system at all.  So bsd.destdir.mk might do its thing, but then
bsd.stage.mk would override the DESTDIR setting during the actual build
and installation of the upstream sources, so I wonder if anything at all
would be installed into the chroot.

G'luck,
Peter

--
Peter Pentchev	roam at ringlet.net roam at FreeBSD.org p.penchev at storpool.com
Key fingerprint 2EE7 A7A5 17FC 124C F115  C354 651E EFB0 2527 DF13