Proposal for Authors / Vendors in ports

Darren Pilgrim list_freebsd at bluerosetech.com
Sat Nov 16 19:41:07 UTC 2013

On 11/16/2013 8:25 AM, Eitan Adler wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 16, 2013 at 10:19 AM, Melvyn Sopacua <melvyn at magemana.nl> wrote:
>>> 2) If meta-information is moved to pkg-descr, it might be worthwhile
>>>    to add some knowledge about formats and restrictions to portlint.
>
> If we go this route I would *strongly* prefer that we do not invent
> our own format.  We should use an existing format.  (I don't care
> which one: YAML, JSON, ...) ?

Which both require parsing libraries.  We don't need that and neither
does anything else that might want to read the ports tree and extract
this information.  This is easily implemented with simple keywords:

We have "WWW:" in pkg-descr.  So add "License:", "Vendor:", etc. to
pkg-descr.

That's parseable using the regex or literal matching built into every
scripting language, most programming languages, and your average human.
  If you want to carry on about using an existing format, the above is
CSV (character-separated values)--one of the most well-established and
well-supported file formats in existence.