rubygem-bundler trouble on 10-stable

Mathias Picker Mathias.Picker at virtual-earth.de
Thu Nov 14 17:05:36 UTC 2013

Hi all,

I'm trying to get middleman up and running on a freshly installed
10-stable machine.
I installed kde4, which pulled in ruby 1.9.3. I then installed the
system rubygems and bundler.

Finally I checked out a project that worked fine on 9-stable, also with
ruby 1.9, and I get:

marcopolo% bundle install
Fetching gem metadata from https://rubygems.org/.......
Fetching gem metadata from https://rubygems.org/..
Using RedCloth (4.2.9)
Using i18n (0.6.5)

Gem::Exception: Cannot load gem at
[/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/2.0/cache/multi_json-1.8.2.gem]
in /usr/home/mathiasp/Projekte/Omanimali/omanimali-web
An error occurred while installing multi_json (1.8.2), and Bundler
cannot continue.
Make sure that `gem install multi_json -v '1.8.2'` succeeds before
bundling.

?? This is not what I expect. Trying bundler --path ~/.gem made the
bundle, but the ffi (1.9.3) bombed on 10-stable with

library.rb:123:in `block in ffi_lib': Could not open library
'libc.so': /usr/lib/libc.so: invalid file format (LoadError)

:(

In 9-stable bundler would use all systems libs and then ask for my
password to install all other gems. I can find no reason why it changed
its behaviour.

For testing purposes, I upgraded ruby and all gems to ruby 2.0, and then
I created a fresh user to try this with a fresh home directory. Both
show the exact same error msg.

Any idea? I really need to to get this running -  my 9-stable disk died
2 days after I got BETA3 installed, I guess it was miffed at being
replaced...

Thanks for any help, tips, debugging directions,

Mathias