opvp support seems broken in ghostscript port

Perry Hutchison perryh at pluto.rain.com
Sun Nov 10 03:12:56 UTC 2013

Has anyone been able to use the opvp support in ghostscript?

It works fine displaying to the screen, but when I specify
-sDEVICE=opvp I get

  **** Unable to open the initial device, quitting.

If I also specify -dINITDEBUG=1 (which turns on debug output in the
initialization file, gs_init.ps) I get a lot of messages showing
progress through the initialization process -- none of which seem
to have anything to do with device choice, nor to be much different
from what INITDEBUG produces when displaying to the screen -- until

  END FONTS 219 2605656 1227805 1417680 125870 true 1166 4 <0>
  Unrecoverable error: unknownerror in setdevice
  Operand stack:
      --nostringval--

which is not a whole lot more informative than the original message.
(When displaying to the screen, the next line after "END FONTS ..."
is "END DEVICE ...")

Is there any way to turn on debug or tracing, or otherwise get more
detail, re what is going on in setdevice and exactly what failed?

So far I haven't found anything particularly helpful using Google.