CC, CPP etc vs CONFIGURE_ENV

Charles Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Wed Nov 6 16:51:24 UTC 2013

On Nov 6, 2013, at 7:25 AM, Andriy Gapon <avg at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>> Setting $CC and such worked with older ./configure which didn't implement $CONFIGURE_ENV.
>> It also plays more nicely with things which roll their own ./configure as a shim
>> that isn't actually GNU autoconf.
>
> Apologies, you seem to think that CONFIGURE_ENV is an environment variable of
> its own.  But, as far as I can see, it is not.  It is a make variable with a
> value that expands to "FOO=BAR VAR=VAL ..." and those FOO, VAR, etc are the
> environment variables that are to be set in configure's environment:
>
> ${SETENV} ... ${CONFIGURE_ENV} ./${CONFIGURE_SCRIPT} ${CONFIGURE_ARGS}

Yes, setup via ports/bsd.options.mk and such (aka configure.mk on some other platforms).

> So, either I didn't understand what you said or what you said is not relevant.

That's fair enough-- I don't always manage to be both comprehensible and relevant.  :-)

I seemed to recall that sufficiently modern configure's would look into
$CONFIGURE_ENV if you set it via:

   export ${CONFIGURE_ENV}; ./${CONFIGURE_SCRIPT} ${CONFIGURE_ARGS}

...instead.  But I don't see signs of that in GNU autoconf, so that might be
a non-standard thing.

Regards,
--
-Chuck