pkgng repository priorities

Andriy Gapon avg at FreeBSD.org
Sun Nov 3 08:10:35 UTC 2013

on 03/11/2013 04:00 Michael Gmelin said the following:
> On Sat, 02 Nov 2013 21:44:43 -0400
> Nikolai Lifanov <lifanov at mail.lifanov.com> wrote:
>
>> Is there any documentation about how to use PKGNG repository
>> priorities? I heard that these are available.
>>
>> Currently, I have my repository configurations like this:
>> 1-myrepo.conf
>> 2-anotherrepo.conf
>> 3-someotherthirdpartyrepo.conf
>>
>> This roughly prefers stuff from what appears first in asciibetical
>> order.
>>
>> I would like to use the official FreeBSD package sets, but to do
>> this, I need to always prefer a package from a local repository
>> (WITH_NEW_XORG, WITH_KMS) if a package is available in it.
>>
>> How can I set this kind of preference?
>
> According to pkg-repository(5):
>
> WORKING WITH MULTIPLE REPOSITORIES
>      Where several different repositories are configured pkg will search
>      amongst them all in the order specified, unless directed to use a
>      single repository by the -r -flag -to pkg-fetch(8), pkg-install(8),
>      pkg-upgrade, pkg-search or pkg-rquery.  The search order is as
>      displayed in the output of
>
>            pkg -v -v

This information does not seem to match the reality though:
https://github.com/freebsd/pkg/issues/632

Also, pkg-repository(5) provides useful information on how to pin some packages
to a certain repository, but be aware of the following bug:
https://github.com/freebsd/pkg/issues/631

Speaking from my own practical experience with multi-repository setup.

--
Andriy Gapon