ruby 1.9 upgrade and puppet

bw.mail.lists bw.mail.lists at gmail.com
Fri May 31 11:54:01 UTC 2013

Moving to ruby 1.9 by following the instructions in UPDATING breaks puppet.

When updating with portmaster, at install time it says 'could not load
facter; cannot install' and exits. I had to manually run 'gem install
facter', then puppet installed. However, 'service puppetmaster status'
was reporting puppet as not running even though it was, so I had to kill
the running process before 'service puppetmaster start'. I assume this
is related to $command_interpreter in the rc script being changed from
ruby18 to ruby19? Although, /usr/local/bin/ruby and
/usr/local/bin/ruby19 are identical, can't the script use plain ruby
instead of ruby19?

For poudriere, puppet failed, still facter:

=======================<phase: install        >============================
===>  Installing for puppet-3.1.1_2
===>   Generating temporary packing list
===>  Checking if sysutils/puppet already installed
===> Creating users and/or groups.
Creating group `puppet' with gid `814'.
Creating user `puppet' with uid `814'.
ftools not found.  Using FileUtils instead..
Could not load facter; cannot install
*** [do-install] Error code 255

Stop in /usr/ports/sysutils/puppet.
===>  Cleaning for puppet-3.1.1_2
build of /usr/ports/sysutils/puppet ended at Fri May 31 11:37:10 CEST 2013

Rebuilding everything with 'poudriere bulk -c' worked fine. I'm aware
that rebuilding everything isn't needed, but it didn't take that long.

But then, when upgrading with pkg, again I had to 'gem install facter'
manually and kill the running script before puppet would restart.